- This event has passed.
AIA New Orleans Advocacy Committee Meeting
July 20 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
An event every month that begins at 12:00 pm on day 20 of the month, repeating until May 29, 2025
Join the members of the AIA New Orleans Advocacy Committee for a monthly call-in meeting.
To date, the Advocacy Committee has accomplished the following:
- 2018: Successfully partnered with AIA State Organization to promote municipal independence of City of New Orleans to draft inclusionary zoning ordinance. Presented to State Legislative.
- 2019: Coordinated with non-profit affordable housing advocacy groups to draft municipal legislation for an Interim Zoning District for Inclusionary Zoning.
- 2018: Consulted directly with New Orleans City Council to redefine the definition of demolition to clarify confusion in the enforcement within the City’s historic districts.
- 2020: Advocacy for updates to the version and method by which State Energy Code is adopted and enforced in Louisiana
- Responsible for appointing three architect members to the Vieux Carre Commission (rotating appointments)
- Advise and coordinate with the City for appointments to the Architectural Review Committees of the Historic District and Landmark Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustments (as needed)
- Since 2018: Hosted four informational sessions for AIA New Orleans Members to learn more about the local regulatory agencies including Stormwater Management, Safety and Permits, City Planning Commission and State Fire Marshal
Engagement with local authorities
- Since 2018: Invited and had several officials from the City of New Orleans and its Historic and Planning Departments attend Design Awards Gala.
Interested in joining the committee? Contact email@example.com for more information!